Thursday 13 December 2012

Looking at Album Covers...

In order to gain more ideas for one of our ancillary tasks about making an album cover, I decided to carry out some research beforehand. By doing this, it will give me more of an idea as to what people expect to see on album covers. I decided to have a look at A Rocket To The Moon's official album covers to see  whether they have any consistent themes running through them. I want the cover to fit with it's genre well but also want it to stand out and be eye catching, to encourage viewers to potentially buy it. Below are some of their album covers with comments about what I like about them each...



I like the bright colours that have been used within this cover, the blue really stands out to me. There is a sort of blurry effect on the cover which I think makes it look more interesting. You can't really tell what the album cover is of exactly, but to me it roughly looks like a wall in the foreground and a fairground ride in the background. The album title is in a sort of random place but I think this again helps to make it more unusual and interesting.



I like this cover, I think that the shot composition is really good. I like the colours that have been used, it all looks very natural. It has a sort of sepia tone to it which I think helps to make it look more interesting. Also, I like the fact that the album cover title is written within the black circle, I think that this really stand out and it is automatically clear who the band are and what their album is called. The shot of their legs is quite unusual, it's natural and just simply showing them walking along the grass/stones.



I think that this album cover is quite unique and unusual. It is sort of a reflection, where on one side it's dark, with mountains and a moon, and on the other it's light with a tree and sun. I like the colours that have been used: blue, light blue and black and think the all blend in well together. Also, I like the fact that the title is written on white font on the black background, this helps to make it really stand out to viewers.





Overall, just by looking at A Rocket To The Moon's existing album covers it has given me a range of ideas to consider. Also, I found out that not many Alternative Rock album covers actually have images of the band on the cover, unlike in Pop music album covers. The albums for our genre of alternative rock all seem to have a sort of natural feel to them, where the images are of the natural environment and the colours also seem very natural, like blues and browns for example. Next, I will go on to deconstruct some existing album covers of bands that are in a similar genre to A Rocket To The Moon, this will help me to gain more ideas and I will be able to pick up on some of the conventions that they all have in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment